By Peter E. Knox
- Features greater than 30 newly commissioned chapters by means of famous students writing of their components of specialization
- Illuminates a variety of features of Ovid's paintings, akin to construction, style, and style
- Presents interpretive essays on key poems and collections of poems
- Includes particular discussions of Ovid's basic literary affects and his reception in English literature
- Provides a chronology of key literary and historic occasions in the course of Ovid's lifetime
Read or Download A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
A brand new translation of, and observation on, Cicero's defence of Publius Sestius opposed to a cost of public violence. professional Sestio is arguably crucial of Cicero's political speeches that live to tell the tale from the approximately twenty years isolating the Speeches opposed to Catiline and the second one Philippic. Its account of contemporary background offers any scholar of Rome with a desirable method into the interval; its depiction of public conferences, demonstrations, and violence arehighly pertinent to the present debate at the position of 'the crowd in Rome within the overdue Republic'; the speech can also be top-of-the-line introductions we need to conventional Republican values and ethics in motion.
This ebook proposes that during a few French Renaissance texts, produced in various contexts and genres, we discover a shift in pondering reminiscence and forgetting. concentrating on a corpus of texts via Marguerite de Navarre, Pierre de Ronsard, and Michel de Montaigne, it explores numerous parallel adjustments of and demanding situations to standard discourses at the human school of reminiscence.
This publication, first released in 1958, goals to explain Greek artwork and poetry inside of this ambiguous interval of old heritage (often known as the Greek ‘Dark Ages’), and to discover the chances of studying approximately Mycenaean civilisation from its personal files and never basically from archaeology. particularly, Webster utilises Michael Ventris’ decipherment of Linear B in 1952 – which proved that Greek used to be spoken within the Mycenaean international – to figure out the overall contours of aesthetic improvement from Mycenae to the time of the written composition of the Homeric epics.
The belief of punishment after death—whereby the souls of the depraved are consigned to Hell (Gehenna, Gehinnom, or Jahannam)—emerged out of ideals came upon around the Mediterranean, from historical Egypt to Zoroastrian Persia, and have become primary to the Abrahamic religions. as soon as Hell completed doctrinal expression within the New testomony, the Talmud, and the Qur'an, thinkers started to query Hell’s eternity, and to think about attainable alternatives—hell’s opponents.
- The Cambridge Companion to Horace (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- A Handbook to Classical Reception in Eastern and Central Europe (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception)
- Beyond the Second Sophistic: Adventures in Greek Postclassicism
- Greek Political Imagery from Homer to Aristotle
Extra info for A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Peter E. Knox